If your gross household income is under 125% if the federal poverty guidelines, you may fill out a Fee Waiver Request.
Genesee County Probate Court Fee Waiver Request Instructions:
1. If you are requesting fees to be waived for a new case, leave the CASE NO. box blank. If there is an existing case, enter the case number in the CASE NO. box.
2. Leave Plaintiff/Petitioner’s name v Defendant’s/Respondent’s name section blank.
3. Check Probate and enter the case name on the line after “In the Matter of”
4. Fill in all boxes that apply under 1., 2., and 3. – If receiving public assistance, proof must be attached and case number(s) must be listed. (You are responsible for making copies of any proof you attach. Probate Court Staff will not make copies for you.) – Proof of any income listed must be attached in the form of check stubs, bank statements showing direct deposit, or tax returns. (It will be your responsibility to make copies of any proof you attach. Probate Court Staff will not make copies for you.)
5. Date and sign the form.
6. When the form is completely filled out, dated, and signed, attach it to the paperwork you wish to file, which also needs to be completely filled out, dated, and signed, and take it to the breezeway at the end of the hallway on the west side of the Courthouse outside of Judge Barkey’s courtroom (room 506) and place it in the “Probate Court Fee Waivers – DROP OFF” slot.
7. It will take at least 24 hours for the request to be reviewed. You should allow 2 business days before checking the “Probate Court Fee Waivers – PICK UP” slot for your paperwork. Do not call Probate Court to check on status. You must appear in person to check yourself.
8. If your Fee Waiver Request is denied, or further information is being requested, there will be an explanation as to why attached to it.
9. If your Fee Waiver Request is granted, bring the Fee Waiver Request, along with the attached paperwork, to the Probate Court for filing.